Monday, September 27, 2010

So Blue

This poem is actually based off of a few phrases I wrote down, then formed a whole poem around them because I loved the phrases so much. As you may be able to tell, I like experimenting, with forms and my own writing. I believe I was also reading Edgar Allan Poe at the time and was thinking of Annabel Lee.


The scent lingers.
I breathe in what remains before it vanishes. Forever.

If only I would;
But lived in a dream.
Then maybe it'd be better if you weren't real;
A fickle figment.

Open the eyes.
I never realized they were closed.
The Day startles me,
How clear and bright everything is.

Shut them again.
The clouded warmth returns.

I stumble back into my memory,
Your eyes the most prominent thought.
For I have never seen a blue like yours;
Like the icy drip from a sapphire rose.

It lands in my cup.

I know I am drifting again.
Too far from the shore, but too distant from the surreal.
Whoosh whoosh whoosh.
The waves are crashing where we first met.
Where you last disappeared.

Inhale.
Too much because I start coughing.
Eyes still shut tight,
Because I refuse to let go.

Like teardrops,
My fingers slide,
Down your cheek.
So blue, like ice
Because it's melting.

It lands in my cup.

I'm sitting on the shore,
The waves grow louder with every fall.
I'm waiting,
Because.

I'll wake you up someday;
And tell you,
I love you.


copyright Christine Locke

No comments:

Post a Comment