Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Smoke

This poem was originally very short with only 5 lines. At the time I felt that was all it needed, but as I went back and read it, my mind began to work and I feel like I've developed it into a better poem than what it was before. Still simple, and that keeps the original tone and idea of what I had before revising the poem.


Like an open window, let my breath escape
so by chance you may catch it and breathe it in
like the second hand smoke from by the liquor store

Like influenza I'll spread through your veins
and impregnate your thoughts with my addiction
unwanted but thirsted for

Like the itch you can never satisfy
you'll gasp for air
but only catch my breath.

Like an open window
letting the smoke from the liquor store in
maybe you'll become addicted and want more

In that case, I'll be here lingering
like the second hand smoke from by the liquor store.



Copyright Christine Locke

No comments:

Post a Comment